October 5, 2010

Hooded Towel

I love babies in hooded towels. I think they are adorable.

My older kids love them too, and are always reluctant to give theirs up, even when their little bums are showing out the bottom because they grow and the towels don't. I couldn't find any larger hooded towels in the stores for my two older kids, so I decided to make them myself.

This is a super easy project (anything I sew has to be) but if you need a detailed tutorial, there are dozens online. I just made it up as I went using my toddler's towel as a guide. I made two in about 15 minutes, and I am not a super-sewer!

What you need:
a large towel- I used a beach towel
a hand towel in a coordinating color. If you are making one for a small child, use only half the towel.
a sewing machine
optional- coordinating ribbon or appliques for embellishment

Here's how:

Lay out your towel then fold it in half. Mark center with a pin. Repeat with small towel.

Line up your pins and place your towels slightly overlapping. if you cut your small towel, put the raw edge facing up, away from the large towel. The hood seam will take care of this later. Pin in place.

Sew them together (see, easy). I used a zigzag stitch and made two seams- one along the top edge of the big towel, another along the bottom edge of the small towel. Sounds complicated, but look, really easy.

Next, fold the towel in half, right sides together. Sew the top edge of the small towel closed. This makes your hood.

Now, to prevent elf head, you need to trim the top point of the hood. Unless you like that look, then leave it! To get the flat top just sew a seam on a diagonal across the point of the hood.

If you are into simple, you are done! Just plop it on top of your favorite wet kid!

If you don't do simple, then you can fancy it up a bit. Sew coordinating ribbon along the edges of the towel or front edge of the hood. Add cute little applique pictures to the hood or back of the towel. Whatever will make you and your little one happy!

No comments: