December 23, 2010

A nesting doll family

I found these blank wooden nesting dolls at Hobby Lobby for just $6. I couldn't pass up the chance to make a personalized set for my girl to play with. She has nearly lost the parts to her big sister's "special" souvenir set more times than I care to admit, so I was happy to find her an alternative. 


I traced the outlines on scratch paper and sketched in the details I wanted to paint on, then used a pencil to draw right on the dolls.  You'll notice I got simpler with each level of design!



I used a tiny brush and craft store acrylics to paint, then a sharpie pen to draw on the detail lines. 


Finally I finished them off with a few coats of modge podge sealant. I went with modge podge instead of an acrylic spray because modge podge is non-toxic and I was worried they might get licked or something.

I think the baby is my favorite, even though she will not be put into circulation any time soon since she is a choking hazard!

No comments: